Friday, October 31, 2008

Tormenting the Blind!!!

My dear friends, this is a Blog about a dear friend of mine who happens to be Legally Blind. This is a man that I have the utmost respect for and an admiration for his abilities and his great attitude.
My Buddy Jeff and I spend quite a bit of time with this man so we know him rather well. Every time we see him we always make some comment about his blindness or BLIND JOKE.
One day we were at an activity and I was talking with one of my lady friends and this guy walks into the room. As he enters the doorway, Jeff runs over and starts to shake the cane that he carries rather violently. When I start to Laugh this poor girl looks at me and says "what is he doing to that poor blind man?!" in amazement. I respond to her, "That is what we do in our spare time is Harass the Blind!" she gives me a look of disbelief after which I told her he was a friend of ours. The Funny thing that I have noticed is that people have a hard time responding to disabled people. I have worked with handicapped people and have a few family members with disabilities. I love and admire each and every one of them but its fun to see people's reactions as we openly joke with them about their disability.
One time we went to eat at this restaurant called Big Judds. It's a restaurant where you can order a one or two pound hamburger. Our Blind friend came with us and in our group of eight we ordered 4- 1lb. hamburgers to share. After dividing the burgers into 1/4 pieces we began to eat we asked our friend if he was ready for his 2nd 1/4 and he had thought that he already at 1/2 we told him "no" and as the waitress walked in to check on us we told her that he wanted the BIGGEST scoops of Ice cream he could eat as well as a few other blind comments and as she looked at us then looke at our friend then walked away she turned and said "I don't think he thought that was very funny!" then scurried away. We laughed because I don't think she understood what kind of a friendship we have with him and she didn't know wether to laugh at our jokes or be embarrassed. Its just funny to see people's reactions. I admire people with disabilities I have seen many of them accomplish great things in their lives. I am not making fun in any way of these people but I want people to know that they are humans too and are great fun to be around and we are blessed to have them in our lives.

No comments: